This course provides practical, foundational training, allowing immediate and effective participation in designing and building web projects utilizing Ruby on Rails, a database powered web framework. It includes an introduction to Rails as well as to other web frameworks as a way to compare differences in areas of usability. The course provides grounding in basic Rails tactics, with hands-on experience in building several projects. Extensive labs throughout the course provide opportunities for students to see Rails in action. Students will be provided a variety of online resources to assist them in honing the skills they learn in the course.
Upon successful completion of this course, participants should be able to build and guide others to build web projects using the Ruby on Rails web framework and to find and utilize a variety of easy-to-use tools to enhance their skills while improving their marketability in the computer programming and web site building markets by:
● Understanding which web projects Ruby on Rails is best for deploying
● Applying appropriate tools and techniques to build such web projects
● Recognizing how to release a Rails project to the World Wide Web
● Selecting the most effective tools to help reinforce and bolster the learning of Ruby on Rail
● Understanding how to trouble-shoot Rails projects and explaining how to eliminate any errors in such projects
What Should I Know
A basic knowledge of HTML5 and CSS3 is necessary to succeed in the workshop; a basic knowledge of programming concepts would be very helpful.
Laura has taught at DePaul University for over 14 years, and has been teaching and using Rails for several years. She’s also taught and participated in many Train the Trainer workshops for educators and consulting firms.